Special Care Nursery
Our special care nursery cares for babies who need medical monitoring or services not available in our regular nursery.
In the event that your baby is in need of extra care or treatment, SGMC is equipped with a Level II Nursery where our neonatologist and pediatric nurses are able to give specialized care for premature and sick infants.
By working with obstetricians to develop a delivery plan, the neonatal staff is able to provide the best possible care for both mother and baby. The SGMC Neonatology department is able to provide intensive monitoring and complex medical decision making immediately, in addition to keeping the baby close to home.
Babies Cared for in the Unit Included:
- premature infants
- infants with illness, abnormalities or other medical conditions
Infants cared for in the Neonatology department meet the approved guidelines for Level II Neonatal Intensive Care set forth by the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Perinatal Pediatrics.
Special Care Nursery Team
- 24 Hour Neonatology Coverage
- Certified Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Neonatal Resuscitation and STABLE (stabilization of infants for transport to another facility) nurses
- Respiratory therapists
- social workers
- lactation consultant – Mothers are encouraged to breastfeed babies in the special care nursery. If your baby is unable to breastfeed, we will assist you with a pump and storage supplies.
SGMC Special Care Nursery is located at the SGMC Main Campus.
2501 North Patterson Street
Valdosta, Georgia 31602
- Visitation by parents is highly encouraged. Please try to avoid visitation during shift changes.
- Please remember to wash your hands and keep visitors away that may be sick or exposed to germs.
- Limit 2 visitors at a time. Visitors (up to four) may be designated by the parents for visitation.
- Visitors must bring and present their photo ID.
- Cell phones are NOT permitted in the Special Care Nursery.
- You may also call 229.259.4265 to check on your baby’s progress 24-hours a day.
The team caring for your baby in the Special Care Nursery will work with you and your family to plan ahead for discharge. Our goal is to help you feel comfortable caring for your baby at home.