September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month and South Georgia Medical Center will host a free prostate cancer screening for eligible men on Tuesday, Sept. 25,
The screening tests, for men ages 55 to 69, who meet the screening guidelines, will include a
Pre-registration is required by calling 229-433-4022. When you call, you will be asked a couple of screening questions to determine if you meet the US Preventive Services Task Force Guidelines to be eligible for this free program. If you are eligible, an appointment time will be given for the screening. This screening is not appropriate for men who are under
According to the American Cancer Society, one in nine men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime. Screening tests help to find cancer in people before they have noticeable symptoms. Results of the lab tests will be mailed to participants several weeks following the screening. For more information, call Community Relations at 229-259-4421.
GUIDELINES FOR ELIGIBILITY:
- Must be a male between the ages of 55-69
- Must NOT have had a prostate screening in the last 2 years
- Must NOT have had a PSA by a physician or urologist in the past year
- Must NOT have a personal history of prostate cancer
- Must NOT have a urologist
- Must NOT have any of the following symptoms: blood in urine, difficulty stopping/starting urination, pain or burning on urination, pain in legs, pelvis, back (if you have any of these symptoms, you need to make an appointment with a urologist or physician).