Together, Let’s Expand Our HEART!
The HEART Program is a remarkable and brilliant opportunity provided to Georgians by our elected officials. We are the only state in the nation whose taxpayers can financially support our state’s rural hospitals – at no cost!
You can provide essential improvements to health care in our community by contributing to the SGMC Berrien Campus or SGMC Lanier Campus through the Georgia HEART program, in exchange for a 100% Georgia income tax credit.
Recent IRS regulations provide even more good news and positive impact for many participants in this program. For “C” corporations and some pass-through businesses, the contribution will constitute an ordinary and necessary business expense, which will provide a federal income tax benefit.
If you pay Georgia income taxes, you are eligible to receive a 100% state income tax credit for contributing to SGMC Berrien or Lanier campuses, as follows:
- From January 1 through June 30 of each taxable year, taxpayers are eligible to contribute up to $5,000 for individuals, $10,000 for married couples, and $10,000 for pass-through owners.
- On July 1 of each year, limits for individual and married filing joint taxpayers (including pass-through owners) are waived. This means you can contribute as much as you would like, and you may take the credit against your overall Georgia income tax liability in the current year, or you may carry it forward for up to five future years.
- At any time during the year, a “C” Corporation or trust shall be allowed a 100% Georgia income tax credit for contributions to RHOs equal to the amount of the contribution, or 75% of the corporation or trust’s income tax liability, whichever is less.
Follow these easy steps to sign up to contribute for your 100% tax credit:
- Complete and submit your 2021 HEART Tax Credit Form at www.georgiaheart.org (takes just 20 seconds!)
- Georgia HEART will submit your tax credit pre-approval form on your behalf to the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) in the order in which it is received
- Within 180 days of receiving DOR tax credit pre-approval, or by December 31, 2020, whichever comes first, send a check made payable to SGMC Lanier Campus or SGMC Berrien Campus to Georgia HEART for deposit to the hospital’s account
- Georgia HEART will report your contribution to the DOR on your behalf and will send you a tax receipt
- You will claim the credit when you file your 2021 Georgia income tax return
Your contribution will increase our hospital funding and our ability to provide for the health care of individuals in our community at this critical time!