Gastroenterology is the study of the normal function and diseases of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon and rectum, pancreas, gallbladder, bile ducts and liver. It involves a detailed understanding of the normal action (physiology) of the gastrointestinal organs including the movement of material through the stomach and intestine (motility), the digestion and absorption of nutrients into the body, removal of waste from the system, and the function of the liver as a digestive organ. It includes common and important conditions such as colon polyps and cancer, hepatitis, gastroesophageal reflux (heartburn), peptic ulcer disease, colitis, gallbladder and biliary tract disease, nutritional problems, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), and pancreatitis. In essence, all normal activity and disease of the digestive organs is part of the study of Gastroenterology.
Dr. “Sai” Raghavapuram
Dr. Loan Vu
SGMC Surgery Center, Suite A110
2417 North Patterson Street, Valdosta, GA 31602
229-433-4310 | Fax 229-433-4311
Conditions and Procedures Include:
- Acid reflux ( GERD)
- Trouble swallowing or dysphagia
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Colon cancer screening
- Diagnosis of esophageal, stomach, colon mass
- Anemia presumed from GI blood loss.
- Inflammatory bowel diseases like ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Constipation and diarrhea
- Gastrointestinal bleeding including rectal bleeding.
- Liver conditions including cirrhosis, jaundice, elevated liver enzymes, fatty liver, esophageal varices etc.
- Pancreas problems like acute and chronic pancreatitis
- Ascites ( fluid collection in the abdomen)