A PEG tube placement is a non-surgical technique for the placement of a gastrostomy or feeding tube using endoscopic technique which may be used for feeding, medication administration or decompression.
Some indications for a PEG tube include:
- Need for long-term nutritional support.
- Patient is at high risk for complications associated with surgical gastrostomy placement.
- Patients with acute or chronic swallowing difficulties.
- Intolerance of nasogastric feeding tube.
- To provide adequate nutrition to trauma or burn patients.
A PEG will require moderate sedation and a short recovery period. You should expect to spend two to four hours in the Endoscopy department.