After a three year hiatus, we are excited to relaunch our Volunteen Summer Program for high school students (formerly known as Canopy of Care). The program provides an opportunity to expose these students to the SGMC healthcare environment. Whether it is the inner workings of patient care or the administrative support that establishes our foundations and thresholds for customer service success. No matter where the placement occurs, all roads lead to the ultimate goal of patient-centered care.
Some goals to consider when determining whether you have the desire to immerse yourself in the program would be:
- Opportunity to potentially gain experience with academic medical exposure.
- A chance to work with health care professionals.
- Assist in providing service to internal and external customers.
- Gain experience working as part of a team.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Complete community service requirements.
- Use volunteer experience on college and scholarship applications and when seeking future employment.
Volunteen placement ranges from clinical areas in various departments such as medical/surgical units, cancer center, imaging, laboratory, rehabilitation, and the emergency room. We also place in Information Services (computers) and support services such as Human Resources and Food Services.
The Volunteen Summer Program is open to:
- Rising 9th-12th graders
- B or higher GPA
- One reference letter from a teacher, counselor, pastor, etc.
- Commit to a screening interview on May 9, 10, 16, or 17 from 3:30-5:00pm (parent must accompany) to be scheduled at a later date
- Mandatory orientation June 6 from 9am-2pm
- Two shifts a week for 4 hours a day from June 12-July 28, 2023 (8:30am-12:30pm or 9:30am-1:30pm)
- Meet Employee Health requirements (COVID vaccine, Flu vaccine, TB screening)
Our summer 2023 application process is now closed. Please check back next year for our 2024 program!
Thank you for your interest in the SGMC Volunteen Summer Program initiative!