Nurse Residency Program
Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program™
at South Georgia Medical Center
What is the program?
At South Georgia Medical Center (SGMC) we value education and have adopted the Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency ProgramTM to advance the knowledge and skills of new graduate nurses in order to help successfully transition them from nursing school into professional careers.
What is the mission of this program?
To provide collaborative engagement for onboarding new graduate nurses to obtain clinical success during nursing practice.
What is the vision of this program?
Nurse residents will end the program with increased clinical knowledge, confidence, and leadership skills to successfully improve patient care outcomes.
- 12 month program designed to prepare new nurse graduates with the skills they need to successfully care for patients
- Enhance the current orientation plans
- Foster critical thinking skills
- Improve patient safety and quality of care
- Facilitate communication and clinical leadership skills
- Promote professional involvement and advancement
- Transition new graduates from advanced beginner to competent professional nurse in the clinical environment
- 2 year commitment required of all participants (1 year residency and 1 year service commitment upon competition of nurse residency)
What are program expectations?
- Complete application and interview process
- Must attend monthly seminars
- Actively participate in all program components
- Develop and present an evidence-based practice project
- Complete all surveys throughout the program
- Attend the celebration ceremony at conclusion of the program
Cohort 1 March 2020
Cohort start March 25, 2020
Cohort 2 July 2020
Cohort start July 28, 2020
Cohort 3 November 2020
Cohort start November 11, 2020
Minimum Qualifications a person must meet to get into the program
- Must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Have less than 1 year experience in acute care setting
- Must have a valid and active Georgia Nursing License or multistate nursing license that allows the candidate to practice in the state of Georgia
- BSL certification preferred
- If starting as a nurse intern resident, you must sit for NCLEX and pass within 30 days of hire date
AREAS YOU CAN GO INTO:
- Critical Care
- Women and Children
- Emergency Department
- Medical/Surgical Department
- Surgical Services
Please apply to the open requisition for the Nurse Residency Program.
South Georgia Medical Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.