Our Canopy of Care
Our Canopy of Care is an opportunity each summer to expose teens ages 14-17 to the SGMC health care environment. Whether it is the inner-workings of patient care or the administrative support that establishes our foundations and thresholds for customer service success. No matter where the placement occurs, all roads lead to an ultimate goal of patient-centered care. Our program should be viewed as a holistic learning opportunity, a youth-empowerment, and community service initiative that engages civic and service-minded young people in a variety of mentoring, volunteering, and philanthropic opportunities in a healthcare environment.
Some goals to consider when determining whether you have a desire to immerse yourself in the program would be:
- Opportunity to potentially gain experience with academic medical exposure.
- A chance to work with health care professionals.
- Assist in providing service to internal and external customers.
- Contributions of work that have an affective impact to performance and results.
- Gain experience working as part of a team.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Complete community service requirements.
- Use volunteer experience on college and scholarship applications and when seeking future employment.
Our summer 2021 program is currently suspended and will re-open in summer 2022. Be on the lookout for application information in early spring 2022.
Thank you for your interest in the SGMC Canopy of Care Teen Volunteer initiative!