South Georgia Medical Center now offers the ORBERA™ managed weight loss system, performed by affiliated physicians. Patients experience 3.1 times the weight loss than diet and exercise alone. ORBERA™is a safe and effective weight loss solution with over 220,000 placements worldwide.
What is ORBERA™?
- Comprehensive two-part program designed to provide effective, motivating results that you can
see. With ORBERA™ patients on average lose 3.1 times the weight they would with diet and
- Starts with a soft balloon placed in your stomach for six months to reinforce proper portion
- The ORBERA™ balloon take up space in your stomach helps you eat smaller meals.
- Balloon is temporary and placed in your stomach for six months without surgery or any incisions
- Patients will receive coaching from a team of experts, which may include a dietician,
psychologist, and exercise physiologist
- Coaching continues after balloon is removed at six months for a total of 12 months
The Procedure: Placement and removal
- Non-surgical procedure done under a mild sedative, the thin and deflated ORBERA™ balloon is
placed into the stomach. It is then filled with saline until it’s about the size of a grapefruit. The
procedure typically takes about 20-30 minutes so you can go home the very same day
- At six months, the balloon is removed in the same way it was placed. Through a non-surgical
procedure done under a mild sedative, it is deflated first then removed
What to Expect
- The weight loss is rapid with the majority of weight loss typically occurring in the first three
months of treatment
- On average patients lost 3.1 times the weight loss of diet and exercise alone
- The adjustments to your eating habits and your continued efforts to stay active will greatly
influence your results
To qualify for ORBERA™, you should:
- Be an adult
- Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 to 40
- Be willing to participate in a medically supervised program
- After six months with the ORBERA™ two-part program, people lost an average 3.1x the weight
patients lost with diet & exercise alone.
- Proven to keep the weight off even after the balloon is removed.
- A more than 20 year history of helping thousands of people lose weight.
- More than 220,000 ORBERA™ balloons have been distributed worldwide in over 80 countries.
- With the FDA approval of ORBERA™, patients now have a safe and effective treatment option.
Performed by by SGMC Affiliated Gastroenterologist Maria Castellano, MD.
Dr. Castellano is Board Certified by the American Board of Gastroenterology.
Call 229-588-4688 for more information.