South Georgia Medical Center is a not for profit, regional referral hospital dedicated to being the leader in improving the health, wellness and quality of life in the communities we serve. Located in the metropolis of Valdosta, Georgia, SGMC serves a multi-county area in South Georgia and North Florida.
As a 330-bed acute care hospital, SGMC provides area residents with broad services through our growing medical staff of more than 200 physicians and 3000 staff. We continually strive to provide quality patient care and quality outcomes.
SGMC is recognized for providing quality care at a state and national level. SGMC is fully accredited by the Joint Commission. This accreditation is the highest mark of quality in the healthcare field. SGMC was established to care for the sick and injured, regardless of sex, race, creed, color, nationality handicap or disability.
The Medical Center is a Member of:
- The American Hospital Association
- The Georgia Hospital Association
- The Southwest Georgia Hospital District
- The Southeastern Hospital Conference
- Voluntary Hospitals of America
SGMC is Licensed By:
- The Georgia Department of Human Resources
Has Been Approved By:
- The Department of Health and Human Services for participation in the Medicare Program.
- The State of Georgia Department of Human Resources for participation in Medicaid Service.
- The State of Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitation Services for participation in Medicaid Service.
SGMC is the largest non-governmental employer in Lowndes County, employing over 3000 people. A self-supporting hospital, SGMC proudly provides care for the sick and injured with no local tax support. Any profit made by the hospital is reinvested back into the facility, adding new services and funding valuable outreach and education programs that benefit students, persons with chronic diseases, the elderly, the uninsured, the underinsured and many others. View our 2011 Community Benefit Report.
In 2009, South Georgia Medical Center in Valdosta generated approximately $601,000,000 in revenue for the local economy according to a report by the Georgia Hospital Association, the state's largest hospital trade association. The report also found that, during the same time period, SGMC provided approximately $26,847,924 in uncompensated care while sustaining more than 4,191 full-time jobs throughout Valdosta and the rest of the state. - View Full News Release