Safety Programs for Kids and Teens
Through the Kohl’s/SGMC Foundation partnership, a local program called Connecting Kids addresses children’s health and wellness issues on a variety of levels.
Connecting KIDS has been able to:
- Develop a new website that is just for kids, teens and parents! Check out our Connecting KIDS site and learn more about our Connecting Kids program, events and information on health and wellness!
- Distribute fruits, vegetables and other healthy snacks to YMCA’s “Food and Fun” program Boys and Girls Club’s “Triple Play” program
- Hold an annual Bike Rodeo to teach bike safety
- Summer Safety Media Blitz - water, helmet, sun and internet safety
- Distribution of funds to local schools for physical education equipment
With Kohl’s as our biggest corporate community sponsor, SGMC continues to make great strides in the area of children’s wellness and nutrition.
This one day babysitting course approved through the American Academy of Pediatrics is designed for students to learn CPR, Removal of an Airway Obstruction, Safety for the Sitter, Infant Information, Toddler Tips, and Behavior
and Accident Management among other important lessons. A certified Safe Sitter instructor and SGMC staff teach Safe Sitter during the summer months.
Safe Sitter will be offered four times in 2013: Please look for class dates in early Spring 2013.
Classes are $35, which includes all materials and lunch.
Safe Kids Lowndes County
Safe Kids Worldwide is a global nonprofit organization with a mission of preventing unintentional childhood injury, a leading cause of death and disability for children ages 1-14.
Unintentional injuries kill more than 830,000 children annually worldwide and permanently disable even more. To combat this problem, Safe Kids was founded in 1987 by Children's National Medical Center with support from Johnson & Johnson.
Through global education, media, community outreach and public policy efforts, we reach millions of children and their families with lifesaving interventions.
South Georgia Medical Center has partnered with other area organizations to form the Safe Kids Lowndes County coalition. Find out more about our local coalition.